Top 3 Best Heavy Duty Mobility Scooters
If you’re looking to enhance your independence and mobility with a high-performance device that is comfortable, stable, and durable, then a heavy-duty mobility scooter may be the perfect option for you. These Mobility scooters are known for their robust designs which can typically support max weight capacities of up to 500 pounds.
In this post, we’ll look at three of the best heavy-duty mobility scooters on the market today, as well as review some of the key factors that differentiate bariatric scooters from standard models.
- What Is a Heavy-Duty Mobility Scooter?
- Key Features
- Top 3 Heavy-Duty Scooters
- Pride Maxima
- Afikim Afiscooter S
- Bonus: Pride Zero Turn 10
- Summary and Recommendations
What Is a Heavy-Duty Mobility Scooter?
Heavy-duty or bariatric mobility scooters can sustain total weight capacities of 500 pounds or more and are designed to accommodate all users. In addition to supporting more weight, these robust scooters usually have higher top speeds and longer driving ranges than smaller models. Their durable construction and impressive performance specifications make heavy-duty mobility scooters a smart choice for outdoor use, as they can tackle more difficult terrain than conventional or portable scooters.
Heavy-duty mobility scooters, on the whole, have larger engines, frames, and wheels than lighter ones. They often come in either three- or four-wheel variants, giving the user the option of whether they want a device with more stability or agility.
On the downside, the larger size of heavy-duty scooters makes them difficult to use indoors, especially in smaller apartments or other narrow spaces. It’s also rare for bariatric scooters to disassemble, meaning that you will need a van or SUV to transport the scooter from location to location.
Key Features of Heavy-Duty Scooters
Below are some of the key areas where bariatric mobility scooters excel over traditional models. As you would expect, a number of the features are related to the safety, comfort, and stability that a larger scooter is able to provide.
- Increased Weight Capacity: Heavy-duty mobility scooter can support more weight than smaller models. Most transportable or folding scooters, for example, can only support 250 pounds, while bariatric models can support up to 450 or 500 pounds.
Comfort & Stability
- Comfort: Because these scooters are designed to accommodate heavier users, they typically come with large, roomy seats and ample leg room. This makes heavy-duty scooters great for longer excursions outside of the house where the user is spending significant time seated in the chair.
- Safety & Stability: Heavy-duty scooters – especially the four-wheel models – are considered some of the safest and sturdiest mobility devices on the market. Their wide wheelbase makes them difficult to tip, and they often come loaded with added safety features like front bumpers, seat belts, and headlights.
- Construction: To support higher weight capacities, bariatric scooters need to be constructed from strong materials like tubular steel. This allows them to endure more wear-and-tear than other mobility scooters.
- Driving Range: In general, heavy-duty scooters can travel farther than standard scooters on a single charge. For example, Pride Mobility’s heavy-duty scooter – the Maxima – has a driving range of 19.5 miles per charge, while a standard model like the Victory 10 has a range of 15.5 miles.
Top Heavy Duty Mobility Scooters
The Pride Maxima is a great all-around bariatric mobility scooter. It is versatile, durable, and delivers exceptional performance thanks to its 19.5-mile single charge range and 5.8 mph top speed. The scooter comes with an all-new adjustable tiller and sturdy tires that won’t go flat. Like all heavy-duty scooters, the Pride Mobility Maxima sports a substantial 500-pound weight capacity, allowing it to be driven by a wider array of users.
It comes fully equipped with plenty of features, including a rearview mirror, seatbelt, battery charger, USB charger, and a full LED light kit with front headlights, rear taillights, and turn signals. The Maxima can be ordered in either a 3-Wheel or 4-Wheel model, with the 4-Wheel version providing added stability and the 3-Wheel version providing better maneuverability.
|Weight Capacity||500 lbs|
|Driving Range||19.5 Miles|
|Top Speed||5.8 mph|
|Weight of Unit||197 lbs|
|Seat Size||22” x 20”|
|Turning Radius||49” or 53″ (depending on model)|
|Models||3-Wheel or 4-Wheel|
EW-72 Recreational Scooter
The robust design of the EW-72 Recreational Scooter gives it a weight capacity of up to 500 pounds. These specs make it one of the fastest and farthest-traveling heavy-duty scooters on the market today.
And if you’re concerned about getting sore on longer trips outside the house, you don’t have to worry. The Captain’s seat on the EW 72 Mobility Scooter swivels for easy movement in and out of the chair and will keep you comfortable all day long.
|Weight Capacity||500 lbs|
|Driving Range||43 Miles|
|Top Speed||15 mph|
|Weight of Unit||257 lbs|
|Seat Size||18.5” x 18.5”|
Afikim Afiscooter S
The Afikim Afiscooter S 4-Wheel Mobility Scooter improves rider safety while still providing a comfortable and roomy driving experience.
The Afikim Afiscooter S can carry up to 450 pounds, travels up to 31 miles per charge, and has a max speed of 9.3 mph. Like the Pride Maxima, it is available in both 3- and 4-wheel versions.
|Weight Capacity||450 lbs|
|Driving Range||31 Miles|
|Top Speed||9.3 mph|
|Weight of Unit||342 lbs|
|Seat Size||18” x 18”|
|Turning Radius||56” or 90″ (depending on model)|
|Models||3-Wheel or 4-Wheel|
Pride Zero Turn 10 Scooter
While not technically a heavy-duty mobility scooter, the Pride Zero Turn 10 offers many of the same features and performance specs as larger models but has a slightly lower weight capacity of 400 pounds.
The greatest benefit of the Zero Turn 10 is its improved maneuverability. Where the heavy-duty scooters listed above typically have a turning radius of 90” or more for 4-wheel models, this scooter has a turning radius of only 43”, making it much better-suited for use in narrow indoor spaces.
It disassembles into several pieces – the heaviest of which weighs 75 pounds – for easier transport on a plane, bus, or train. This makes it an excellent option for people with active, travel-filled lives.
|Weight Capacity||400 lbs|
|Driving Range||15.9 Miles|
|Top Speed||7.3 mph|
|Weight of Unit||242.3 lbs|
|Seat Size||18” x 17”|
Summary and Recommendations
There are several great mobility scooter options available for people who need a heavy-duty device that can sustain higher weight capacities. The three heavy-duty scooters mentioned above are fantastic choices for any user who needs a safe and comfortable mobility scooters for everyday use.
If you’re looking for additional information on the best heavy-duty mobility scooters, visit Scootaround online and check out our selection of bariatric scooters. You can also visit our Scootaround Canada Store if you are shopping from the Great White North!
If online shopping isn’t your thing, give us a call at 1-844-664-7467 and we will help you find the right heavy-duty scooter for your needs.