Summary: Tired of getting a hands-on Office 365 migration project plan to perform a successful data transfer in Office 365? But did not get it done? Don’t worry we will help you out in this scenario. This article is specially curated keeping this query on the priority list. Follow along carefully to get your query solved.
The benefits of keeping data on the cloud are enormous. It offers several advantages to its users like a user-friendly interface and a robust infrastructure. It gives technologies that aid in increasing staff productivity and cooperation.
This is why businesses are aiming to migrate from various desktop-based clients to web-based clients. Apart from the above reasons, migration may also occur when two businesses decide to either merge or execute an acquisition.
To do this, both companies must utilize Office 365 to transfer data from one Office 365 to another. We understand that migrating to Office 365 is a tough process, therefore it is critical to plan ahead of time.
As a result, the entire plan will be presented in detail in this post. This will save you from lengthy procedures and time waste.
What Should be the Office 365 Migration Project Plan?
This article will discuss both the Microsoft Office 365 migration requirements and the importance of having a strong post-migration.
1. Get End Users Ready Ahead of Time
- Effective communication among organization members is the first step in planning and preparing.
- Before starting the project, each user should have a thorough understanding of the migration strategy.
They should know about the implementation process, consequences, and the changes in the company.
- Perform the different tests and inspections on the migration day. Resource management is another critical element for pre-migration checks.
- After the brainstorming, disseminate the strategy broadly among the members.
This will help to get comments from a diverse range of minds. Also, the admin should develop a strong project plan for the migration that is free of contradictions.
- You may use Microsoft’s checklist to arrange a successful move. You can add to or change this checklist to fit your own requirements.
2. Make an on-site Inventory as the Office 365 Migration Project Plan
Preparing the inventory for the on-premises Exchange is the next pre-migration activity.
You should have the following information before migrating:
- Prior to the transfer get the names and sizes of user mailboxes (shared resources), as well as email addresses.
- Client preferences, storage locations, and client versions are all available.
- Network setup.
- Virtual conferences, instant messenger, linked application systems, DNS records, and so on.
1. Examine the Current Situation
Conduct the tests and inspections on the present Exchange on-premises environment.
- Account creation and synchronization methods.
- Get the required licenses for user accounts.
- Backups and backup processes are essential, as are network capacity and transfer suitability.
- End-users must get fundamental training.
- Complete Account authentication.
- Do the Antivirus, firewall, and router upgrades.
2. Prepare the Data for Migration
Prepare the Data for Migration Some things to keep an eye out for are:
- Active Directory is current.
- Delete the Accounts not used for a long time.
- The source and destination environments have the same UPNs.
- Use the Email addresses inside the proxy addresses attribute.
- Archiving facilities (offline or online) will be required in the future.
- Complying Prerequisites
Read More About: How to Export Office 365 User List?
3. Create an Office 365 account.
This is the final stage of Office 365 migration preparation. Set up your Office 365 accounts keeping the following considerations in mind.
- Purchase a subscription to Office 365 as well as a license.
- Validate Domain names.
- Configure – security permissions, application to be used, optional Office 365 directory syncing, and single sign-on (optional).
- Complying Requirements
After performing all the steps on the pre-migration plan, the user can head on to performing the migration process.
Using Expert’s Recommended Tool – Office 365 Migration Tool
The utility is a comprehensive application that lets you move data from one Office 365 account to another at the same time. This application allows you to export data in bulk without incurring any losses. Use the Delta migration feature to move newly arrived data from the source account.
Free Demo: You can use this software for free of cost. By downloading the free demo version of this software from the above link. Moreover, you can migrate two user accounts for free without paying any cost.
You can easily verify the working and the performance of this amazing utility in order to perform this above operation in a streamlined way without any hassle. For further migration, you will have to purchase the full version of this tool which is available at reasonable price.
Now you can focus on the post-migration needs after the migration method is completed successfully.
Office 365 Migration Project Plan for Post-Migration
1. Cache and redirection of emails
Cache and redirection of emails Examine the Outlook profile folders once again and ensure that the status for each folder is “This Folder Is Up To Date.”
2. Migrated Mailboxes Should Have Licenses Assigned Mailboxes
Assign Licenses to Office 365 accounts that have migrated. Otherwise, they will be terminated after 30 days.
As a result, it is advisable to assign licenses to mailboxes as soon as possible for long-term use.
3. Create DNS Records for Autodiscovery
DNS Records Discovered Automatically As a consequence, users will be able to connect their user mailboxes to Outlook email clients as well as other mobile clients.
4. Dismantle the Source Environment
Check to see whether your mailboxes have been successfully moved to your Office 365 account.
Licenses have also been assigned, and everything is operational.
You may now decommission the previous on-premises Exchange Server.
It is advised, however, that you decommission it only when no further synchronization with the source is expected and permanent migration to the target has been achieved.
You may love to know: how to perform Office 365 tenant to tenant migration step by step.
Migrating to Office 365 account is a difficult task. Thus, the user needs to have a plan for executing the plan. In this article, we show you the step-by-step process. You can use a professional tool to perform the above migration process.