Linksys extender keeps disconnecting? Don’t worry! This is one of the most common issues faced by Linksys users. Most people often wonder why does my Linksys extender keep disconnecting even after configuring it properly. Well, let us tell you that these are not the major issues. Linksys extenders are some of the best yet most reliable extenders on the market and do not easily come across major problems.
There can be a lot of reasons behind Linksys extender keeps disconnecting. In this post, we will learn all the common reasons behind the Linksys extender issues and try to troubleshoot them. Make sure you read this post until the end in order to avoid missing any useful information.
Reasons that cause Linksys extender keeps disconnecting
Firstly, we will discuss some of the common reasons that cause Linksys wifi extender keep disconnecting issue. We have put down all the reasons:
- Outdated firmware
- Corrupted or malfunctioned firmware
- The router is not in range of the Linksys extender
- Power outage
- Extender experiencing frequent drop-offs
- Wrongly configured settings
- Extender surrounded by appliances
- Extender surrounded by thick walls or fish tanks
How to troubleshoot Linksys extender keeps disconnecting?
Now, in this section, we will walk you through the troubleshooting steps. Troubleshooting your Linksys extender becomes easy when you already know some of the common reasons that might be causing this issue on your device.
1. Power cycle
- Firstly, reboot your device as it resolves multiple software and network issues.
- Secondly, restart your router, Linksys extender, and ISP modem.
- After that, unplug all the devices and wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Now, restart your computer as well.
- At last, try connecting to the Linksys extender’s wifi network. See if you can access the network without Linksys extender keeps disconnecting issue.
2. Change location & Check for issues
- As we know that the distance between your router and extender also plays a major role in your wifi network.
- Make sure the extender is not placed too far from the router.
- You can relocate your extender and place it nearby the router.
- After that, check if you can connect to the Linksys extender without network drop-offs.
- Now, make sure the ethernet cable is not showing any signs of wear & tear.
- The cable should be firmly plugged into the router.
- Follow the next steps if still Linksys extender keeps disconnecting.
3. Troubleshoot through an in-built tool
- Firstly, make sure that the computer is connected to the Linksys extender’s network.
- After that, look at the bottom-right corner of your monitor’s screen and right-click on the network icon.
- Now, click on the “troubleshoot problems” button.
- After that, your computer will automatically diagnose the problem and try to fix it.
- Follow the next steps in case your Linksys wifi extender keeps disconnecting.
4. Linksys Extender Reset
- Finally, you need to reset the Linksys range extender if you can’t resolve the issue.
- Now, locate the reset or push button on the Linksys wifi range extender.
- Now, press the push button and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
- After that, release the reset button and wait for at least 2 minutes while your device restores the factory default settings.
- Give your range extender a few minutes to make the new changes take place.
- At last, reconfigure the range extender with the main router’s wifi network.
- But before that, make sure you update the Linksys extender firmware.
NOTE – After resetting the Linksys wifi extender, you may need to reconfigure the device. Resetting the extender removes all the configuration and connections from your Linksys range extender.
How to Update Linksys Extender Firmware?
There are two ways through which you can update the firmware of your Linksys wifi range extender, that are, manual and automatic update. Let’s discuss how you can easily update the firmware of your Linksys wifi extender.
- Firstly, you need to login to your range extender using the default URL.
- Go to your computer and open a web browser on it.
- After that, enter the default Linksys URL extender.linksys.com in the address bar.
- The browser will take you to the Linksys extender login page.
- Thereafter, you need to provide your Linksys login username and password in the respective fields.
- Once you enter the login details, click the Login tab and you will be taken to the Linksys dashboard.
- Click Administration and then click on the Firmware Update tab.
- After that, open a new tab and go to the official Linksys firmware download website.
- Download the latest firmware for your device and save it on the desktop.
- Now, close the tab and go back to the previous tab.
- Click on Choose File and select the file that you downloaded.
- Click on the Update button and your device will initiate the Linksys firmware update.
Once the firmware gets upgraded on your range extender, make sure you reboot it. Although the extender reboots itself, you can still restart your device afterward. As soon as the firmware updates on your device, the device will resolve most of the issues faced previously.
How to Reconfigure Linksys Extender After Reset Process?
If you have saved a backup configuration file during the reset process, you can use the same to reconfigure your device. If not, you will need to follow the complete setup process from scratch to set your device up again. Start by connecting your devices and then powering them up. Use the default web address extender.linksys.com to access the Linksys Extender Setup wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to configure the network settings and the device admin details as well. Once done, you can change the new settings in your connected devices so they can work with the extender networks seamlessly. If you face any issues with reconfiguring the device, you can talk to one of our support team members.
So that was all about the Linksys extender keeps disconnecting issue and its solution. We hope you liked this post and it helped you to learn about the common reasons and the troubleshooting steps as well. If you encounter any problem with your range extender, make sure you reach out to our support team for prompt resolution.