A laboratory incubates a specially insulated and heated machine that is used to provide the ideal environment to culture cells, tissues, and other microorganisms. Some laboratories also use incubators to raise small animals and birds. The incubator provides a controlled atmosphere inside it by maintaining the humidity, atmosphere, temperature, gas volume, etc.
A Laboratory Incubator must be used perfectly if you want to get the ideal result for your experiments. This is also a moderate to a heavy expensive machine. Hence, you must maintain it for its longer shelf life. In this article, you will
get to know about how to properly use a laboratory incubator and maintain it.
How to maintain and use a laboratory incubator Install the machine properly
- This is the first thing that you need to do. If you want to maintain it, use it properly. You antalya bayan escort should place the incubator in a clean and dry place. This is for minimizing the chances of contamination inside the incubator.
- Try to avoid placing the machine near a window or door or vent or air diffuser. These places have strong air current and the air can contain a lot of germs, bacteria, and molds. Additionally placing it in a place near the air current can also affect the temperature inside the incubator.
- Place the incubator in a dry and cool place away from sunlight. This is because sunlight often affects the temperature. But refrain from placing it near a humid place to avoid molds and harmful bacteria.
- Make sure to keep a gap of three inches between the wall and the other machine while placing the incubator.
Customary cleaning is a must
- Cleaning may seem a mess but if you want to keep the incubator functioning, make sure to clean it. Here are some tips for cleaning an incubator-
- It is better if you clean the trays, antechamber, shelves, culture pots and other parts of the incubator at least three times per month. The humidity pans should be cleaned once in a week.
- Disinfecting the machine is also necessary. So, try to disinfect it properly once or antalya escort twice per month. It is better if you use a mild disinfectant without any harsh smell. The ammonium disinfectant is ideal for cleaning an incubator. This is because a strong disinfectant can create obstacles during cell culture. Also, clean the body and the handle of the machine once in a month.
- If the incubator has a fan; then make sure to clean the fan blades and wheels after three months.
- If your incubator has HEPA or ULPA filters then you need to be extra careful. These filters are advanced and often are fine particles inside them. These stored and trapped particles can contaminate the air inside the incubator. So, it is better to get the filter serviced or replaced twice per year.
- If you are using a CO2 incubator then you need to spray anti-fungal cleaner inside and in all the cracks and openings and corners to prevent any type of fungal contamination. Also, remove the parts and autoclave these removable parts for proper sanitization.
- If your incubator comes with a UV lamp then remove it before cleaning and reinstall it after you have properly cleaned the incubator.
- Sometimes you need to properly disinfect the laboratory incubator. Here is a simple method to solve it. Take a pan and fill it with 70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. Leave it inside the incubator overnight and clean it the next day.
- If possible, go for expert cleaning performed by a professional once in a year.
Keep the carbon-di-oxide level and humidity level in check
- If you want proper functions of the incubator, make sure to check the humidity and carbon-di-oxide level. If the humidity level is below the normal standard or above it, y0ur cell culture will be affected. It is advised to keep the humidity at 95% for a proper culture result. So, keep a tray with water inside the incubator to maintain the humidity level.
- Always make sure to check if the CO2 incubator HAS 5% CO2 level. This helps to maintain the pH level of the incubator. So, you need to keep an eye on the CO2 sensor.
Call the expert if you cannot fix it
Simple and small problems may occur if you are working with the incubator constantly then you will be experienced enough to handle minor damages. But, if the damage or problem persists then it is better to seek expert help.
Here are some common and simple incubator maintenance tips that you can follow. If you are looking for a new laboratory incubator then you can contact Global supply or visit their website to choose from their large selection of different types of lab incubators as per your requirement.