However, The Consortium of NLUs has released CLAT Syllabus for undergraduate and postgraduate law programs. The CLAT 2022 UG syllabus includes five sections –English Language, Legal Reasoning, Logical reasoning, Current Affairs including General Knowledge and Quantitative Techniques. The total number of questions in the UG exam is 150 questions. The exam will have objective questions based on comprehension to test the candidate’s aptitude and comprehension skills.
For better preparation for the exam, every law aspirant must be thorough with the CLAT exam syllabus. It helps understand the exam requirements, important topics and exam difficulty level.
CLAT 2022 Syllabus: Highlights
CLAT 2022: Exam Pattern
The CLAT Exam Pattern is divided into five sections. The five sections test the candidates’ skills in English, General Knowledge, Logical Reasoning, Legal Reasoning, and Quantitative techniques. However, prior knowledge of the law is not expected, but general awareness is important. Thus, it is required that the candidate is thorough with all the sections, which will help them attempt the exam.
|1||English including Comprehension||28-32|
|2||Current Affairs including General Knowledge||35-39|
CLAT English and Comprehension
- Students will be given a passage based on contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction topics. The word limit of the passage would be around 450 words. Students should have the ability to read the passage within 5-7 minutes. One has to focus on understanding the central idea of the passage. To score well in this section, students need to comprehend the main points around which the author builds his argument.
- Students should be proficient in drawing inferences and conclusions after reading the passage.
- Questions can be asked based on the summary of the passage.
- A deeper analysis of the passage will help the students compare and contrast different points in the passage
CLAT Legal Reasoning
- In this section, a passage of about 450 words will be given. The passage could be factual or based on legal matters or social issues. Students will be able to score well in this section if they develop an awareness of legal and moral issues. They should be able to think logically and assess the factual situation with a generalist approach.
- Students must understand how to infer the rules and understand the principles on which the passage is based.
- Students should have the ability to apply rules and principles to factually based paragraphs.
CLAT Quantitative Techniques
- Students will have to solve short sets of facts or propositions, graphs, or other textual, pictorial or diagrammatic representations of numerical information in this section. Questions will be based on the above information. Students will have to develop a skill in deriving information from graphs, and questions will be based on mathematical operations.
- The mathematical operations will require students to know concepts of class 10th standard, such as ratios and proportions, introductory algebra, measurement and statistical estimation.
CLAT Current Affairs Including General Knowledge
The general knowledge section will check a student’s awareness of current affairs and understanding of important news events. Students will need to analyze the passage based on legal information given in the passage. To score well in this section, students must read newspapers and magazines and remain updated with current affairs. The GK questions will check students’ knowledge on the following topics:-
- Significant events, dates and significance are happening on the domestic and the global front.
- Related to Arts and culture.
- Questions related to International affairs.
- Questions might be asked about some historical events that have lasting significance.
CLAT Logical Reasoning
- A passage of about 300-350 words will be given in this section. However, questions will be based on the following points.
- Students should understand the premises and conclusions of the given argument.
- The students should have the skill to analyze and identify the hidden arguments in the passage.
- High order thinking is required to analyze the paragraph critically.
- Students should develop a higher level of intelligence to understand the term inference, as inferential questions will be asked in this section.
- The skill to understand the passage based on logical premises is another point that students need to consider while attempting legal reasoning questions.
- Additionally, students should be able to draw out an analogy and relationship between the passage’s arguments.
CLAT Subjects Weightage
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge||25%|
How to prepare for CLAT?
Various skill sets are put to the test throughout the various sections of the CLAT. If you want to perform well on the exam, you need to concentrate on developing a plan for each of the different sections. The following are some pointers that will assist you in getting ready for each section:
Candidates in this segment need to concentrate on their reading abilities and their capacity to comprehend difficult words to do well in the English Language section. However, for applicants to develop their abilities, they must read newspapers and practise reading comprehension passages.
It is a section in which applicants are tested to see how well they are informed about current events throughout the globe. To be adequately prepared, candidates need to study a variety of resources, including newspapers, editorials, periodicals about current events, and other things.
The applicant will need to do more drills to succeed in this portion. This portion could be particularly time-consuming due to the difficulty of the questions. Therefore, applicants need to practice with question papers and mock exams from the previous year to understand the question types and do well in this segment.
During this portion of the exam, applicants will be evaluated on how effectively they comprehend the law and other topics about the legal system. Therefore, applicants need to be aware of what is happening in the legal system to perform well on this subject.
A candidate will need to put in a lot of effort to perform well in the quantitative techniques portion. However, applicants will need to keep track of their time and be familiar with the formulae to respond to the questions.
1. Will CLAT 2022 has negative marking?
Yes. There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks. However, no marks will be deducted for unanswered questions.
2. How many questions will there be in CLAT 2022?
CLAT 2022 will have 150 questions. Each question will carry 1 mark.
3. What type of questions will be there in CLAT 2022?
CLAT 2022 will have questions based on comprehension passages. However, the exam will be MCQ-based.
4. How many sections are there in CLAT 2022?
CLAT 2022 has 5 sections – English, Legal Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Techniques and General Knowledge and Current Affairs.
5. In which mode CLAT 2022 will be conducted?
The Consortium of NLUs will conduct CLAT in offline mode, i.e, Pen-paper mode.
6. How can I practice online for CLAT 2022?
Candidates can download online, the mocks provided by the Consortium of NLUs. Also, candidates can focus on solving CLAT sample papers for better preparation and familiarity with the actual CLAT exam.