Constant exam stress is a killer. It wreaks havoc on the nervous system, weakens the immune system, damages the digestive system, strains the cardio-vascular system and pushes one step closer to a painful death. Stress comes in all types & forms, and excess of it is deadly.
One of the most destructive forms of stress is academic stress. We have all heard of it, and we have all gone through it. And, exam stress is probably THE most familiar form of academic stress experienced by all pupils.
This article brings you some superb tips on tackling and alleviating academic stress. But, before we dive into them, we need a basic understanding of the causes and the nature of this debilitating psychological/nervous phenomenon.
What Is Stress? Why Does It Occur & Why Is It So Harmful?
Stress is the physical and mental response of a human body to any unfavorable or uncomfortable situation. It is the body’s fight or flight response to stressful situations and is not the normal state of the human body.
Unlike popular notions, stress is not always bad. On the contrary, our body’s response to stressful situations is crucial to survival and sustainment. This form of stress, known as adaptive stress, helps get things done and protect oneself from harm.
It is only when stress becomes perpetual and persistent, does it become a deadly affliction.
- To handle a stressful situation, our body releasesseveral chemicals to prepare itself. A surge of hormones, such as cortisol via adrenaline, noradrenaline, etc., are released. These burn the glucose in our body at an excessively high rate. All such burning and hormone release makes us feel alert, energetic and focused. Even in academics, working with a bit of stress can boost performance.
- But, experiencing frequent stress is highly detrimental. For example, constant pressure leads to excess release of stress hormones, a large amount of which remains in the blood without being broken down. This leads to a permanent state of stress, and that energetic fight or flight feeling leads to worry, anxiety, irritability and panic.
For students, different factors contribute to continual stress. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Excessive Competition
- Poor Time Management
- Learning Difficulties
- Socio-Cultural Problems
- Cultural Shock
- Personal Relationships
- Family Responsibilities
- Parental and Peer Pressure
In most cases, a combination of the above builds up gradually and often leads to insurmountable academic stress.
Well, it is time to buckle up and get rid of all such stress. Read on for ten great tips to relieve all sorts of exam stress.
10 Tips To Relieve Yourself Of All Examination Stress
Examinations remain one of the most common sources of stress in academia. Overcome all of them with the ten tips below.
Keep Things In Perspective
While examinations are essential, remember that they are not the be-all, end-all. Work hard to soccer better but do not stress yourself worrying about poor grades. Keep in mind that whatever happens in your exams, you can still shine in your life.
- Put in the effort and try to be consistent, as only hard work yield results, not incessant worrying. At the same time, remember that exam success or failure does not define you as a person since there’s so much more to one’s personality.
- Employers do not just look into your exam scores; they are also interested in the different aspectsof your personality and various transferable skills such as team-building, leadership, decision-making, problem-solving, management, etc. So don’t let stress damage the mental faculties powering these essential aspects.
Eat, Sleep and Workout Well
Experiencing a bit of stress during examinations is quite normal. But, things become worse when you are stressed out continually. And, conditions worsen further if one studies on a poor diet stay up late at night and get minimal movement for days.
- Poor diet, inconsistent & abnormal daily routine and zero workouts are typical for students studying hard for examinations. They increase symptoms of stress and anxiety, leading to further complications. They should study smartly.
- Students need to manage stress both mentally and physically. A lot of exertion occurs while preparing for examinations. One must try to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep, slow-release carbohydrates such as cereals, less caffeine, more water, fruits & vegetables, along with at least half an hour of exercise every day.
Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but a commendable presence of mind. If those complicated concepts seem a bit too mind-boggling, never hesitate to seek help from a reliable source.
- Time is of the essence during exam seasons. If you need academic assistance, make sure you do so from someone capable. Talk with your friends and arrange for a group study. You can even consult with your teacher or tutor and engage in one-on-one discussions. Rest assured that they will be more than ready to help.
- Online academic assignment help services are other excellent avenues of availing urgent & quality educational assistance. Avail of a reputed service that offers comprehensive assistance from high school to Cheap Assignment Helpand beyond.
Avail Of Institutional Resources
Today, many schools, colleges and universities offer numerous resources to aid the student in tackling examination & generic academic stress.
- Take advantage of any academic support services at your institution. Talk with counsellorand engage with the writing & communication center, if available.
Please find out the areas where you could use them with some aid and then do so. You will end up saving time and getting efficacious assistance in return. Use all resources to your advantage, be it human or non-human.
- Get help from your institute’s librariansif you need assistance while doing research. They can even help you kickstart your research or answer any queries during the research process. In addition, everything’s digitized, so you need not worry about losing your precious time. If you need professional help with your homework then you can also take Homework Help.
Practice Does Make Perfect
Stop worrying and start working. That’s the only way to succeed.
- Begin your exam preparations at least two months prior. You will find things falling smoothly into place. No subject will feel like a mountain to climb, and your confidence levels will rise high.
- Practice often to overcome difficulties with any subject. Be it mathematical problems, programming or writing, everything becomes more manageable with diligent practice. Study challenging concepts from early on and practice complex skills to master them completely.
Set Realistic Goals
Know your capabilities well and think accordingly. If your preparation is poor, do not expect to shine in your exams. Don’t waste time mastering skills before your exams. Instead, focus on what you know you are good at and will bring in decent grades. Be realistic, work intelligently and prepare accordingly.
It is essential to put things into perspective and accept reality. Do not stress yourself out thinking about things that are not possible to achieve immediately. You only risk burning yourself out by doing so.
An Early & Organized Preparation Is Key
Proper preparation IS the best way to relieve exam stress. Start your exam preparations early on and in an organized & intelligent manner. Again, time is of the essence during exam season, so get to work at the earliest.
Scope out all necessary resources, craft an effective study routine, organize yourself and gird up your mental loins. Remember, getting good grades is NOT IMPOSSIBLE if you put your mind and heart into it. Do not consider examinations as stressful situations, instead think of them as a challenge that will make you better.
- Study in chunks.
- Use mind and concept maps.
- Take frequent notes.
- Solve problems frequently.
- Give yourself a timed examination to test your mettle. Previous exam papers and test papers can help you do so.
Prepare early and be at your best. Then, all exam stress will vanish into thin air.
The day before exams can be stressful, no matter how well prepared you are. A little bit of stress and anxiety are bound to creep up. Thus, it is crucial to maintain a calm and composed mind.
Take deep breaths, stay hydrated, and be rational. Revise the things you studied instead of worrying about the question paper or finishing in time. Think about ways to overcome the problem instead of getting bogged down. KEEP CALM AND TAKE CHARGE!
Be Strategic and Stay Positive
So, is the question paper’s a bit tougher than you expected? No problem. If you have prepared well, then nothing should seem too challenging. Understand the key concepts involved and use your intelligence to crack that tricky question. Then, FOCUS ON SOLVING INSTEAD OF PANICKING.
Strategize before writing. Choose to solve those questions that you are confident with. And remain positive throughout. Some questions may take longer to write, so manage your time accordingly. Keep an eye on the time and write to win!
Believe in Yourself
Last but least, never lose faith in yourself. Performances can vary, and a below-par score does not mean the end of the world. Exams are important but so is your health and life. Do not let exam stress damage your mind and career.
Be honest and focus on giving your best. Your only concern should be regretting not putting in the best possible performance. If you HAVE given it your all, then there is nothing to regret. Instead, think about the things you could do better and improve yourself further.
Exam stress is a killer, and you are the only one who can kill it. Keep calm, work hard, be positive and have confidence in yourself. KICK DOWN THE WALLS OF STRESS, AND FIND YOUR WAY TOWARDS SUCCESS!
Hope the above tips and the article as a whole have been an exciting read for everyone. All the best!
Ethan Taylor is a professor of electrical engineering at a reputed university in Massachusetts, the USA. In his free time, you can often find him fishing, tinkering with circuits or tutoring students at MyAssignmenthelp.com, a leading academic writing service.